Friday, September 20, 2013

Choreographing...

Okay, so sometimes as a Choreographer...you create dances and you when you are done you can look at them and say "That was good".  Then there are times when you can create a dance and say "Wow, that is it!"  Yesterday I got to have a "That is it" moment!  One of my first dances to create, The Jitterbug, was a bit of a wow moment.  I just remember the kids saying I love this dance.  It's so cool!  They wanted their parents to come and watch it!  They gave me a feeling of "Okay, I can be a choreographer"!  I have created some awesome dances, some good dances, and some wah wah I wouldn't want to be in them dances.  But yesterday, I made up a dance to "Mabel's Prayer" from FAME Jr.  And it just worked!  It's a gospel type song, but it just clicked.  I didn't realize it until I had taught it to the kids!  And they loved it and it went so well with the music.  I just thought...Wow!  This is one of those moments!  Where the dancers and the dance just work!  It was a great experience!

This week I have had some really great moments!  I have loved going to Gardner!  They are working so hard!  This week I worked with the Hot Box dancers.  It was so fun to not only teach them the dances...but to also help them with their character!  It's a big jump for some of these girls to be a "showgirl".  It's a big jump for a lot of these girls to even be dancers!  So, it's been fun!  Plus, they are working, working, working like mad already!  They can see and feel a difference...so they will work as hard as they can to get that feeling to keep growing!  So amazing!

CYT's show opens in a week!  We have rehearsal tonight, tomorrow, and then tech week begins on Monday!  This show has been fun...but then also hard as well!  I really think it's my least favorite because it has young kids in it!  Now don't get me wrong, I think young kids are great...but 25 of them and it just turns into chaos!  As I sit here and think...CYT is the only show that I do with kids that are that young.  Everything else has Middle school kids and up!  And I love that!  So, if that doesn't tell you something right then...Middle School kids are the age for me!  High School kids are pretty cool as well...but they can get a little lippy.  Ha ha ha!  I will sad and happy when this show ends!

Anyway, these are my musical stories!  Funny kids, fun dances, and even better stories!  Love it and love life right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment