Thursday, September 18, 2014

A few unedited pictures...and a how-to on the sign!

Engagement Pictures were a success!  Now I can stop worrying about the weather!  About what to wear!  About making sure that I feel good when taking the pictures!  I mean, I still want to eat better, but I can have a cookie if I want one...that type of thing!

Here are a few pictures!






Here is the sign I made with the help of my sister, Dana!  I'm going to make that girl crafty yet!  Ha ha ha!


This is an awesome and cheap way to make a sign.  I can't figure out where I saw how to make this...but I will try to find it!  Here is how I did it!

What you need
1.  Buy stakes from Home Depot (or wherever).  A pack of 12 for $2.50ish
2.  Get some paint stir sticks from the Paint Counter.  I got 5 for FREE!
3.  Grab some paint.  I love Spray Paint!  2 cans (2 colors)- $8 (the original post used stain)
4.  Wood Glue- $2.85
5.  Re-usable Vinyl Stickers from Michael's (or any craft store).  1 pack was $6 (I bought 2)

Step One
Lay out the stakes face down (pick which way you want to be face down).  I did not use all 12, but probably should have.  Oh well!

Step Two
Put Wood Glue on the Paint Stir Sticks and stick them on the back of the sign.  This will help hold the stakes together!  I staggered them, since they aren't long enough to go all the way accross.  Put heavy items on top of the Paint Sticks to get them to stick better.  Then wait until they are dry!  This drove me crazy!  I hate waiting!

Step Three
Carefully (unless you waited the proper amount of time) turn the sign over, so that the paint sticks are on the bottom.  Over a covered surface paint your sign the color you want on the bottom (or the color you want the letters to be).  Then wait for the paint to dry!  Oh my goodness, it seemed to take forever!

Step Four
Put your letters on the sign.  This is where the reusable stickers came into play.  We were able to put them down, pick them up, move them, and then re-adjust them again.  This is where a 3rd and 4th eye will be very handy.  Have someone else look at the words and make sure everything is spelled correctly and is evenly spaced.  Press the stickers down once they are on there.  I did not want it to be super perfect, so I was not worried when 2 of the stakes were uneven.

Step Five
Paint your sign the second color!  Make sure the first color is painted over and totally hidden.

Step Six
Here is the best part, you only have to wait 10-20 minutes after painting the 2nd color before removing the stickers.  DO NOT wait until the paint has dried, it might mess it up.  Remove the stickers and then walk away!

Let the sign dry!  You should go have a drink or some ice cream...and pat yourself on the back for the amazing job you did!



No comments:

Post a Comment