Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My first DIY Wedding Project

So, yesterday I started on my first DIY Wedding Project!!!  Before you roll your eyes and get annoyed that I am already doing projects for the wedding which is still 15 months away, let me explain!

So, this past week I said, I need a wedding binder to hold all of my stuff!  It was starting to get a little crazy with all of the postcards, business cards, papers...blah blah blah...the stuff was everywhere and it is only going to get worse!  Then I also wanted to get a checklist..and a whole bunch of stuff to help me get organized!  My sister, Megan, has this amazing notebook that has everything you could ever want!  I tried to go to Hallmark (I think that is where she got it) and they had nothing.  So, I thought...maybe I could just make it!

So, I went looking for a DIY Wedding Planner Organizer online!  I found one and printed it off!  Then I found a notebook, punched holes in the organizer (which I didn't have the papers in far enough and the holes got all weird!  I'm thinking about re-printing...it's so buggy).  Then I thought about how to cover my ugly, written on, 3 ring binder!  It was a student's at one point, but they gave it to us.  The reason why I love this 3 ring binder is the rings are so easy to open!  That is my favorite thing and the reason why I want to use that one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3sbllrZCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvBrDLfw2Zg

Yesterday, I went looking online on how to cover the 3-ring binder.  I have a lot of extra fabric, so I am went googling "How to cover a 3-ring binder with fabric"!  And I found some awesome video's!  I found 2 that I ended up using!  The first one is an easy basic project that I felt I could totally do.  The 2nd one is a bit more my style (no measuring- I'm so lame) and it had a pocket!  So, I set off to make it!

I got home yesterday and got to work!  I started cutting the fabric and was so excited!  I messed up the first time, so I had to cut it again.  It was not a bad mess up, I just ended up wanting to do it a little different.  I ended up using the first cut fabric- go me!  I ironed everything (that is new for me-but I really wanted to do it right)!  I even had some fabric liner stuff that I ironed on!  I did cut the extra fabric a little too soon and a little too close...but it's still manageable!  I'm not a patient crafter!  I want it done and I want it done now!  So, that is so hard for me...and then it usually bites me in the rear later.  Ha ha ha!

Anyway, I was thinking that I could sew, when I remembered the pockets!  I am doing a side pocket on each side, and then some square pockets on the front cover.  I created the pockets, I lined the pockets, I sewed the pockets to make them work.  Then I decided to make handles for the binder!  Because it will be easier to carry that way.  Maybe.  So, I made the handles.  Then I took a dinner break!

Dana leaves today and won't be home until June, we my parents and I went out to dinner with her!  It was yummy!

Back to sewing!  4.5 hours after I started this whole project...I began sewing!  I started sewing and I wasn't sure about how it was going.  Half way through the first side...my bobbin ran out of thread.  I was not surprised by this and it was actually a great thing.  I put the binder in the part that I had already sewn...and I didn't not sew it correctly.  Am I surprised by this?  No, not really.  As i was sewing I thought, I feel like I have too much fabric on this one side!  Well, I did!  So, for the next 45min to an hour I took out all of the stitches that I just put it!  Wah Wah!

Curt kept asking what I was doing.  He kept saying it's time for you to go to bed...stop working on that.  I swallowed my need to finish it last night and said after I take all of the stitches out, I will put it away!  And I did!  This morning I put it together and I marked it with a marker.  Then I pinned the marked fabric to the other side!  I am pretty sure that I should be able to just sew it now.  Fingers crossed!  I did not take pictures, becasue that would have been too much!  But I will show the finished project!  Hopefully!

So, not bad for my first DIY project!  If I would just take the initial steps to get there, it would work out better for me!  Ha ha ha!  Happy Wednesday and happy crafting- sort of!

No comments:

Post a Comment