Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Love is the only way to fix the world

So, on Sunday there was a tragic shooting.  A very hateful person killed a 14-year old boy, his Grandfather, and then another lady.  He killed them in front of Jewish buildings (JCC and an Jewish retirement facility).  If I heard correctly, not a single person that he killed was actually Jewish.  When arrested he yelled "Heil Hitler".

A few things, I saw my friend, Greg, on Saturday and thought to myself.  I should go see his show tomorrow (Sunday).  I need to get better about seeing my friends in shows.  If you usher at a lot of places, you can get in for free.  On Sunday, I sang at church and it was rainy outside.  After church, I went out to lunch with my family and kind of forgot about going to see the show.

I went home and watched the movie 42!  Which was amazing!  And I was angered by the hatred that I saw and the racism!  And I thought, thank goodness I don't live in that world!  It was just so sad and stupid!  Then I got a text from my sister asking if everyone was alright or if anyone was at the JCC.  She said there was a shooting there.  The JCC was also where Greg's show was located (the one I had forgotten about).  My first thought was of Greg and the cast (made up of other friends as well).  Then I got another text from my BIL Mike, he had talked with Sam (a friend) and she is fine.  Another friend was shot at and luckily left unharmed- at least physically.  There is going to be some mental anguish over all of this!

I found out the next day that I had choreographed for the boy who was killed.  He was not in a dancing roll, so there wasn't much one on one action.  But he was a lead, so I knew him.  And that made it worse.  It was much better to not have a face with this boy who was killed.  Instead of a face, memories, laughter, and a loss of talent.

I'm sad!  I'm not at a loss for words, I actually have a lot to say!

I want people to wake up!  I want people to realize that if we commit any type of hate, that it can escalate into something worse.  Today people are wearing white for the boy who passed away.  They are coming together and sharing love!  It's amazing!  But they don't get it!  Or maybe they do!  But making fun of someone, calling someone names, ignoring them completely and having your friends do the same, all of this stuff is just as bad.  Because you are hurting someone.  That man, the one who killed these people, he is full of hate!  If he grew up in a place of love, than maybe this would not have happened!

We need to stop the hate, stop judging, stop being so critical and just love one another.  I know we can't all be best friends.  But we don't have to be mean.  You can say hello to people.  You can tell someone different than you to have a good day.  You can even compliment them on something.  You dont' have to hang out with them all the time.  But if that little change, that little action was the one that stopped a kid from bringing a gun to school.  Or stopped a kid from killing him or herself.  It's not guns, it's not knives, or bombs, or anything...do they help?  No, but it's the people wielding all of these things that are bringing pain to the world.

Look around and see what you can do to spread the love!  Look around and call your friends, family and forgive or laugh or love or do what is needed to stop the hate!  Smile at random people, hold the door!  Be aware of people outside of yourself!  Love and equality is going to be the way to change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment