Thursday, March 7, 2013

Operation Bill Payoff...is complete!!!

Big stuff has happened this week...
Have I mentioned that I paid off my credit card?  Operation Bill Payoff is officially done!!!  Unofficially I still have to pay for my car repairs and the last of my Physical Therapy bill...but I am not counting those...because they were needed!  I probably should have mentioned that first!  That is kind of a big deal!  Background information moment:

In 2010 I had a total of a $22,000 credit card bill ($14k on one credit card and 8k on the other).  My interest rate was 29.9%...yikes!!!  So, my minimum payment was not doing anything for the actual balance...it was only paying off the interest.  In Nov. of 2010 I called the credit card people and tried to get a lower interest rate.  Then I tried to understand a balance transfer that I was offered...and they told me that I was not able to transfer money to a different card within the same credit card company.  I said okay...and was so sad...but the nice lady on the phone said...on your one credit card...I see that you have a total balance of $30K.  So that means that you are not using 15K.  You can take that 15k to pay for whatever you need to pay.  And it's a 0% interest rate.  That goes until August.  So, I did it.  I am not sure  how it worked...but I did!  Then I used another 0% interest rate offer...I had my 14K balance paid off by August of 2012!!!  I then got some 0% interest 0% balance transfer offers in the mail and took them up on that offer as well...then this past week...on my birthday to be exact...I paid off the last of the credit card debt!!!  I have been working 2...and sometimes 3 or 4 jobs at a time!  I worked my rear end off until I couldn't see straight...or broke down crying because I was so tired or because I hadn't seen anyone in so long...ha haha!  I did not go out to eat all that much...and I took a year off of buying my family gifts!  This last year took a little longer because I was not as frugal as I should have been...but that is okay!

Now I am free to do what I want to do!!!  Move in with my boyfriend, save for a wedding, plan a trip!!!  Anything is possible!!!  I have been burdened with that debt for a very long time...some of it is from my previous marriage...and some of it is from not having money in New York, and some of it is just dumb spending!  Since I started paying it off...I have not used a credit card unless it was truly needed (i.e. the broken car and the broken body).  So, I'm pretty proud of myself.  I am going to put all of my money toward the last credit card...so that come June I will be able to say I'm officially credit card free and not have to put any * by what credit cards I still owe!  But it's still a nice feeling to not "have" to pay something off.

Where will my money go now?
1. The credit card for my broken car and my physical therapy- which is about $1900.
2. My savings/wedding- no I'm not engaged which is why it's called a savings first...but when I do get engaged and then married...I want to begin to have the funds to afford the dream wedding that I want!
3. An apartment- when I move in with my boyfriend I will need funds for that...but at the moment if we don't move in...I can use that extra money to pay off #1 first.  Ha ha ha...this is one reason why we haven't moved in together yet.  (We had talked about moving in last August, but I wanted to wait since I was going to be paying off a credit card.  I said lets wait til Nov./Dec....then he said let's wait til spring...which was better for me so that I could have the extra money to pay off the last of the credit card.)  Anyway...we are supposed to start looking in a few weeks...and I might want to wait until May...or maybe even june...because that is an extra $1000 (I'm budgeting $500 for rent and stuff) that I could pay off my credit card.

Sometimes I'm surprised that I have a boyfriend.  I'm a little crazy with lists and money and I want to plan things so far in advance.  I think it drives Curt nuts a little bit...because he is a laid back go with the flow kind of guy...so I try to be more laid back...because my way seems a little tense...he is getting better with trying to plan...but we both need work.  Ha ha ha!  To conclude...I have paid off the majority of my credit cards!!!

Other exciting news...


Seussical opened at the Middle School.  It closes tonight (short run) but it was a success!!!  The only down side were the crappy microphones.  But besides that...the show was great!!!  The kids were just so sweet!!! Tonight is the final show and then there is a cast party for afterwards!  It's fun to just hang with the kids and not have to do anything like teach dances or anything like that!  Good times!!!

The other exciting news is the fact that I got called back for Theatre in the Park!  I got called back for Judy in 9-5!  I'm pretty excited to get this opportunity!  Whether or not I make it...is up in the air.  But I'm also getting kind of excited for a free summer!  It might sound weird...but the thought of not doing anything sounds mighty awesome!  But being a lead in a show would be awesome as well!  I have also thought about working this summer...and if I would make 9-5...I would be able to work late into the evening during the week...so I could potentially get more hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment